12/01/2013

Halifax and Home Ed

My son wants to open a Junior ISA account.
He went in to Halifax, taking his birth certificate with him.

My husband was with him, with proof of address, should it be required.

They were told that my son needed a letter from his school in order to open an account.

He is Home Educated.

My husband asked what the letter from a school needed to state.
The cashier did not know, neither did the other staff member she went away to ask.

So they left, new account-less and rather annoyed.

There are, of course, other banks.
It would be nice for him to be able to access his money via a branch in the town where he lives though.

Is the requirement of a letter from a school a standard requirement for any Junior ISA with any bank?

Would he be better sticking his cash under his mattress - the bank (credit) interest rates are so paltry just now?

We should probably just find a different bank in which he can store his hard-earned cash, but this rule is discriminatory against home educated children, innit, so I feel it needs highlighting.

I've tweeted Halifax about it, so I'll update if they answer.

I appreciate they have to protect against fraud and money laundering, but shouldn't a valid birth certificate from a legal resident who is aged just 15 be enough to open an account in the country of their birth?

It makes you wonder who the customer is, doesn't it?

It also makes you wonder, if the banks had taken as much care to put safety checks in to every other area of their business practices, whether we would still be about to slide in to a triple-dip recession.

Going by track records, my son needs to put far more trust in a bank than they need to put in him.

2 comments:

  1. My sons both have Junior ISAs with the nationwide-they also have savings accounts there.Never had to take a letter from school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for letting me know, Lin :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.
It will be moderated as soon as possible.

Web Analytics